It Started With A Cow

2010_heifer_logoIt started with a cow.

Giving is a force of nature at year’s end. The urge is strong to dig into the pocket or pocketbook for a handout or even step into McDonald’s to pay for a hamburger.  Not saying this is a bad thing, but it is giving a fish instead of a fishing pole.  It’s a temporary fix and, in some cases, may even be empowering poverty when that dollar(s) for [name your heart-rending need] actually goes for drugs or alcohol or keeps someone surviving on the street instead of seeking help.

What’s a person to do?

First, research your local agencies.  Your community needs you, but make sure the agency that “gives a holiday meal” also does more significant intervention, or you will be perpetuating the fish/fishing pole conundrum.  You can also participate in supporting an incredible organization like Heifer.  It started with a cow.  A man recognized that people needed a “cow, not a cup.”  The organization not only gives livestock to those in need, but teaches them skills and “empowers them to turn hunger and poverty into hope and prosperity…   [By] linking them with markets in their area, they help bring sustainable agriculture and commerce to areas with a long history of poverty.”

The organization has been endorsed by Fast Company and Forbes, among other places.

I’m in!  Between now and December 24th (midnight CST) I will give $2 to Heifer for every comment posted here.  You can leverage your words by visiting and commenting at Nathan Bradford and checking out the links to other participating blogs there.

Happy Giving!

Post Script:  Thank you everyone who posted a comment.  I sent Heifer a check for $50–that’s a calf to a needy family!

About T.K. Thorne

I live on a beautiful mountain and write about whatever moves me while two dogs and two cats vie for my lap. I’m a retired police captain and eclectic writer.
This entry was posted in It Started With A Cow. Bookmark the permalink.

51 Responses to It Started With A Cow

1. Hooray for Heifer! Thanks for participating!

2. This is awesome. (I feel a little guilty posting such a gratuitous comment, but it’s for a good cause!)

3. Jenn Hubbard says:

Glad to cheer on your donation!

4. Pingback: HEIFER INTERNATIONAL HOLIDAY FUNDRAISING SPECTACULAR « Anne Mackin

5. I added a link to this giveaway blog from mine. Go Heifer!

6. Nolan White says:

Great concept! I’m passing your suggestion along to 80 others on my email list.

7. Sarah Hina says:

Great organization! I appreciate your generosity.

8. M.E. Garber says:

Thanks for bringing more publicity to this great charity! And for letting us participate!

9. Herb Kandel says:

As a probable descendant of Na’amah, are aurochs included in the given livestock?

10. Stefan says:

And another comment! Thanks for doing this. I am from Bosnia and I know what donations and people with a good heart can do.

Happy to comment!

11. mira says:

Love your opening line. :) Thanks for doing this and supporting such a great cause! Have a wonderful holiday!

12. Val Lies says:

Brilliant cause. Thanks for participating.

13. Thank you so much for participating, T.K.! I love Heifer International and appreciate your generosity!

14. Callum says:

What you’re doing is amazing. Thank you and I hope you have a wonderful holiday!

15. Sul says:

Thank you for your generosity and holiday spirit! Your efforts are much appreciated and you will be blessed!

16. This is really great! Happy Holidays!

17. It’s amazing when you read the statistics on how much of a difference even some chickens can make to a family’s quality of life. Thanks for doing this!

18. Bryan D says:

Thanks–Heifer’s a great org with a great mission!

19. Sorry, took me a while, but I’ve now linked to you from my blog. Keep up the great work!

20. Bree says:

Merry Christmas!

21. PA Lassiter says:

This project is near & dear to my heart. Thank you.

• T.K. Thorne says:

Thanks for visiting and commenting PA. Glad to see Heifer has such great support from writers!

• T.K. Thorne says:

Thanks for the link and comment, PA. Have you figured out what genre you want to write? Think we have that eclectic gene in common. I write everything from historical fiction to science fiction, fantasy, YA to mid-reader to adult.

• PA Lassiter says:

Nice to meet you, TK. If I commented twice to squeeze more $$ from you, it wasn’t on purpose. :)
        It isn’t so much that I don’t know what genre to write, but that I just write what interests me without regard to it, then don’t know what I have when I’m done. I’m sure editors hate this and I’ll probably have to figure it out if I want to get published. But that’s what 2nd drafts are for! (Better get started.)
        Thanks for doing this project. It was my church’s #1 giving project when growing up, so is special to me. And hey! Nathan sure is cute! :-)

22. moi says:

*singing* There’ll be chickens around the mountain when they come. When they come! Merry Christmas!

23. This is such a great organization, thank you! GOATS RULE!! :)

24. Laura Parenteau says:

I did not know about this org. Glad to see so many others seem to know about it.